IEU National Conference – Canberra 3 – 4 October, 2013

I was privileged to attend the IEU National Conference at Old Parliament House in Canberra during the Term 3 school holidays from 3-4 October. I had this opportunity in my capacity as a member of the Committee of Management of IEU VicTas.

The central agenda Quality Education What We Do, Who We Are examined the current policy settings in the Australian education environment and considered the professional and industrial implications of the National Plan for School Improvement. Keynote speakers included the Australian Government Minister for Education, the Hon Christopher Pyne, ACU academic Scott Prasser and panel experts Geoff Newcombe NSW AIS and Ross Fox NCEC. On the Friday the IEU’s Quality Teaching Framework and Education International’s year of activity ‘UNITE’ for Mobilising Quality Education was launched. Special guests included NASUWT President Mick Lyons and COPE (Council of Pacific Education) Secretary General Govind Singh. Friday commenced with a performance by Sydney Conservatorium tenor Damian Arnold and ringing of the bells at the Carillon on Lake Burley Griffin to launch World Teacher’s Day, which is actually on 25 October.

The opportunity to listen to the new Education Minister and the other presenters, along with sharing time with my COM colleagues from both Victoria and throughout Australia was informative and beneficial.